___________________________________________

[ well done, good and faithful δούλος, for you have been faithful with a few things.]
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday, January 8, 2011

"that great city, [detroit]"

"Should I not have compassion on that great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand persons who do not know the difference between their right and left hand?" [Jonah 4:11]

"Why Detroit?" I have been posed this question on numerous occasions.

I am quickly realizing that the notion of transposing one's life into the sprawl of the American inner-city is not nearly so straightforward as it appears. Kudos to the Cooks, Sims and Luptons of the world.

Allow me to state the obvious: Detroit is no Cedarville. Neither is it a Springfield, or even a Dayton. The sheer frequency of crime is staggering, notwithstanding Detroit's well-renowned red light districts and high homicide rate.

Crime, however, is but one distinct challenge. The bankrupt public school system is near collapse. Newly-appointed Rob Bob (I couldn't make it up) is currently responsible for remedying the DPS fiscal nightmare. Unfortunately, some necessary cut-backs have led to tragic side-effects in the classroom.

Conversely, there is substantial opportunity for redemptive living.

Amidst the various tribulations, a stubborn community holds out. True stories of grit and spiritual renewal are no longer anomalies; there is a Work going through the city. They are beginning to take ground.

And then, there are the students: walking dreams driven to silence the living nightmares that define their day-to-day.

Makala Conner | Age 12 | Grade 7
"I want to be a world-renowned pediatrician. I would like to attend Harvard University. I will travel around the world helping children and babies."

Kamarri Coleman | Age 13 | Grade 7
"I want to be a lawyer when I get older because I want to help people stay out of jail. I don't like seeing people go to jail..."

Javon Gossett | Age 8 | Grade 3
I want to be a police officer because I want to find lost children with my K9 dog and solve crimes. I'm going to protect people by making they're OK."

Da Maiyah Hopkins | Age 12 | Grade 6
"When I get older, I want to become a special-ed teacher. I want to help kids read and write. I also want to help my community to have more jobs and more houses."

Marquis Bradon | Age 19 | Grade 12
"I see myself becoming a lawyer, or owning my own company...I also see myself with a wife and kids."

I have few greater joys other than knowing that I'm a hop, skip and a TFA-jump from entering into their lives. I envy their inspiration.

No doubt, the transition from the cornfields of Ohio to downtown Motown will be messy and complicated. But should I -- should we -- not have compassion on that great city of Detroit?

"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." [John 1:5]

[JSD]

3 comments:

  1. Well Mr. Demers,

    I will be praying for you as you and Laura prepare for this challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your courage. I think you will learn just as much or more in Detroit than you would in any study abroad experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks kate/abby.

    we covet your prayers; i feel as though this challenge is far more impressive than i realize..

    ReplyDelete